Proposal: Extensible exceptions

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 11:59:37 EDT 2008

Henning Thielemann wrote:
> If your program is buggy, then it may well be that the file to unlock is
> already unlocked and deleted.

I think you're being a tad too simplistic here.  In large software
systems, you get different perspectives on the code.  From your module,
that division by zero error may be fatal; but from my module, which may
have been developed independently and is responsible for managing a
number of other third party code modules, I would like to find out that
your code had an error, note it in some kind of log, and then run the
next person's code.  That is, from my code, your programming errors were
entirely anticipated "external" things that could go wrong.

This sort of thing doesn't happen in all large software systems, but it's
not exactly rare.  Even when it's not a requirement, it's often a good
idea just in the name of robust programming.  A sufficiently large system
is bound to have some bugs; and it's nice to be able to isolate their
effects enough to continue with the functionality that works.  Depends on
the situation.

So, given that the distinction between "error" and "exception" is not
absolutely, but often just depends on your perspective (and I do take
that as a given), I'd call it very broken to have different mechanisms
for each.

--
Chris Smith