Proposal: Extensible exceptions

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Jul 6 16:31:05 EDT 2008

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, David Menendez wrote:

>> data DivideByZero = DivideByZero deriving (Show, Typeable)

Maybe I annoy you with my distinction of errors and exceptions, but I
consider DivideByZero a bad example for an exception, because it is more
an error (I see it is used in the extensible exception paper anyway). A
division by zero is not a problem that comes from the outside world like
'file does not exist'. In contrast to that, it's absolutely predictable:
It occurs whenever you divide by zero. I'd thus call it a programming
error.