agreeing a policy for maintainers and hackageDB

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Jul 1 15:33:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:26:12PM +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> >And I asked in part because I have an experimental cabalization of Darcs
> >which I maintain, and I was thinking of uploading it to Hackage since
> >Darcs 2.0.2 got released - which would be exactly this situation (Roundy
> >has made it clear he opposes cabalization of Darcs, even removing stuff
> >that would make it easier).
>
> Too sad, I thought David was looking for contributors. Wouldn't Cabal
> simplify contributions?

No, because it would complicate the build system, so that contributors
who wanted to work on darcs would have to deal with autoconf, gnu make
*and* cabal.  And it would double the number of possible build
scenarios, unless we required cabal, in which case it would break
compatability with older systems.  It's just not worth the maintenance
nightmare.

David