Proposal: Add --with-libedit flag to the readline package

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at
Sun Jan 13 21:59:17 EST 2008

On 1/13/08, Isaac Dupree <isaacdupree at> wrote:
> Judah Jacobson wrote:
> > I think that in an effort to clarify matters, I made them more muddled. :-)
> >
> > By "they don't overlap" I meant that neither header (histedit.h vs.
> > readline.h) imports the other and that they can be used independently.
> >  But *both* headers are present on *all* distributions of editline,
> > not just Apple's.  Implementing #2 is sufficient to getting editline
> > working on all platforms.
> interesting... how do all platforms, even ones with Readline installed
> in a traditional Unix filesystem layout, manage to distribute Editline
> also with readline/readline.h?  Shouldn't there be a non-overlapping
> header name that exports the same compatibility interface?

That's a good question; now that I think about it, I'm not sure of the
answer.  The header might be renamed, e.g. to <editline/readline.h>;
I'll look into it.

Hopefully, even if the header is renamed, the editline package will be
able to abstract that away in its autoconf script.