Proposal: Add --with-libedit flag to the readline package

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 19:40:35 EST 2008

On 1/12/08, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:
> Judah Jacobson wrote:
> > These two interfaces do not overlap, as far as I can tell...
> > 1. System.Console.Editline
> > 2. System.Console.Editline.Readline
> > For now, I'm only working on #2, since it'll be easier to integrate
> > with ghci
>
> Hmm, I see. I thought that there was some overlap.
>
> Well, in that case, the goals of native readline emulation
> for Mac OS X Tiger and editline support for all platforms do
> not overlap as much as I thought. Too bad.
>
> My point is that editline support for all platforms should
> be a much higher priority than removing the dependence on
> readline for one specific version of Mac OS X, in my
> opinion.

I think that in an effort to clarify matters, I made them more muddled. :-)

By "they don't overlap" I meant that neither header (histedit.h vs.
readline.h) imports the other and that they can be used independently.
 But *both* headers are present on *all* distributions of editline,
not just Apple's.  Implementing #2 is sufficient to getting editline
working on all platforms.

Sorry for the confusion,
-Judah