Copyright for readline/editline packages

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at
Sat Jan 12 14:11:04 EST 2008

On 1/12/08, Isaac Dupree <isaacdupree at> wrote:
> if the only copyright license granted for the Haskell-readline code is
> GPL (which sounds true), then it has to stay GPL.  If BSD was also given
> as permission (it's always possible to give more permissions for the
> parts of something that you hold the copyright to), then, no worries,
> Haskell-editline can be BSD.
> [snip]
> Finding the author would be good if we could though, because she/he/they
> would most likely give us BSD permissions (just guessing :-)
> ~Isaac

Thanks all, that's pretty much what I expected.  I'll try to track
down the author and get BSD permissions from them.

I'm having trouble accessing the history of the file
hslibs/util/Readline.hsc (which was deleted before the cvs->darcs
change).  Can I access the pre-darcs cvs repo from somewhere? The
documentation for ghc-6.4 says to use, but it looks
like that server is no longer active.

Also, from what I can tell, several people have made minor changes to
that file (such as updating to the FFI standard or adding Haddock
docs).  How should I handle copyright attribution and getting
permission with respect to contributors?