Add 'subsequences' and 'permutations' to Data.List (ticket #1990), discussion period end

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at
Tue Jan 8 18:58:54 EST 2008

Twan van Laarhoven wrote:
> Hello all,
> As Thomas Hartman noted in a recent cafe thread [1], haskell 1.3
> included the functions 'subsequences' and 'permutations'. I think these
> functions are quite useful, and I don't know why they were ever removed.
> This is a proposal to add these two functions to Data.List. The
> implementation is taken directly from the Haskell 1.3 report [2].
> Trac ticket: #1990
> Discussion period ends: January 7th (since there is a holiday comming up)

The discussion period for this proposal is over. Everyone here seems to
agree it is a good idea.

The patch attached to the trac ticket contains the best versions discussed
in this thread:
  - Wolfram(kahl at's version of subsequences
  - my permutations8c

Can someone with the power to do so apply this patch?