Announcement: Typeful [x]html combinators -- pre-release 0

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 08:15:10 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 05:38:47PM +0000, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
> ... or,  "whoops! I've writtten another html combinator library."
>
> History: I was surprised to find that all the Haskell html
> generating stuff I've tried allowed one to construct invalid
> HTML.

Did you take a look at Peter Thiemann's WASH/HTML? It contains a monadic
combinator library that checks proper nesting of HTML tags at compile
time. The library also has an unchecked version, and the checked
version doesn't seem to be used too often, even by the author himself.
Last time I checked it still lacked the obvious rule to allow putting
BODY in HTML, and I had to define that instance myself. But this is only
a small wart, and the library proved to be quite useful for me.

> I'm announcing it here because I hope the audience is fairly
> small but discerning, and I'm announcing it at all because
> I've run out of steam for the moment. This is the first code
> above the size of a nonce-programme that I've written since
> I got ill years ago, so don't go too hard on me!

I hope you won't consider my response hard ;-)
Perhaps you could borrow some ideas from Peter's code, or vice versa.

Best regards
Tomasz