new language extensions

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sun Jan 6 12:51:19 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 02:27:55PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:40:25PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > Last call for objections or comments.
> >
> > We'd like to get this into Language.Haskell.Extension asap so we can
> > include it in the Cabal distributed with ghc-6.8.2. Currently there are
> > packages that compiled fine with Cabal and ghc-6.6.x but not with
> > ghc-6.8.x because we're missing these new more fine-grained language
> > extensions.
> >
> > See http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/160
>
> I'd much rather see http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/147
> fixed. Then Cabal would work with future GHCs, with new extensions as
> yet undreamt of, as well.

Yes, I would like to see this too, I have not really done a lot of work
integrating jhc with cabal, but this 'baked in' extension type was
something of an issue. (jhc itself understands a subset of the cabal
file type and can build libraries based on them with jhc --build-hl).
There are a couple other places where a 'newtype String' made more sense
too if I recall.

Perhaps just a simple wiki page where we can "register" extension names
is in order as there are a few jhc understands that arn't in the cabal
extension type (nor should they be if this fix is completed).

    John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈