H98 Text IO

Takano Akio aljee at hyper.cx
Wed Feb 27 06:22:40 EST 2008

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Let me try and summarise:
>
> basically we can be consistent with the OS environment or consistent
> with other Haskell systems in other environments or try to get some
> mixture of the two. It is pretty clear however that trying to get a
> mixture still leads to some inconsistency with the OS environment.

I would vote for "always locale". If one starts up an editor, types some
text and saves it, it is probably in the locale's encoding. A user will be
surprised if a Haskell program fails to read the resulting file. Also, being
consistent with C and Java means both users and developers are likely to
be familiar with the behavior.

Regards,
Takano Akio