H98 Text IO

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:51:04 EST 2008

Hello Simon,

> Use openBinaryFile (or hSetBinaryMode) and your program will work with all
> compilers, both before and after this change.

it is what i mean - we just have found one more way to break
compatibility with existing haskell code. it is important part of our
efforts to keep haskell community as small as possible, ideally it
should include just authors of haskell tools itself

>> really, i wonder. afaiu, the phrase "avoid success at any cost"
>> has the same double meaning in English as in Russian and now,
>> when Haskell got real chances to become widely adopted by industry, it
>> seems that we try to avoid it... at any cost

> I don't get it - aren't we improving things by providing support for
> non-Latin-1 encodings and unifying the compilers?

this will improve things only for haskell novices. real men
(including yourself) are already adopted various ways to live with it

i again highlight that if we want to put ghc into industrial use, it
should keep compatibility with old versions

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com