darcs patch: [PROOF OF CONCEPT] build readline package with libedit

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 19 12:52:09 EST 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 09:22:34 am Christian Maeder wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:
> >>
> >> Can Cabal-1.2's flag capability manage such a task?
> >
> > I don't think I understand the problem clearly enough to say. Perhaps
> > someone can try explaining it in more detail.
>
> Currently, we have packages Shellac-readline and Shellac-editline.
> with
>
> exposed-modules: System.Console.Shell.Backend.Readline
>
> resp.
>
> exposed-modules: System.Console.Shell.Backend.Editline
>
> Each module exports a single constant:
>
> Prelude> :browse System.Console.Shell.Backend.Editline
> editlineBackend :: System.Console.Shell.Backend.ShellBackend ()
> Prelude> :browse System.Console.Shell.Backend.Readline
> readlineBackend :: System.Console.Shell.Backend.ShellBackend ()
>
> On Macs I want to use Editline, under Linux Readline, Therefore I #ifdef
> my sources. (The functionality seems to be the same for both packages)
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Should not the exported constants have the same name
> 2. Should not even the module name be the same in both packages

I don't think so.  I personally view such "top level" overloading as
undesirable.  There might possibly be a legitimate reason to want both
modules avaliable simultaneously.  Punning the module name would make that
impossible.

If you want a package that multiplexes the editline package or the readline
package depending on avaliability, that would be easy to do.  It would just
require wraping up the #ifdef stuff needed into a single place.  I can
probably find a few minutes this afternoon/evening to do this.