select and selectSplit

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Mon Feb 18 08:15:15 EST 2008

Cale Gibbard wrote:

> Lists are our loops. It has nothing to do with an aversion to using
> other sequence types. Lists reify linear recursion directly. So the
> real question I suppose is why loops are so popular.

Well, loops are certainly popular in imperative programming,
because there you have only one world,
and it goes through a linear sequence of states.

But we don't need that in functional programming -
and if we're using "State" (or sequencing),
then it's perhaps a (premature) optimization
(towards the von-Neumann execution model).

Anyway, I don't care much about library functions
I'm probably not going to use;
but maintainability is an issue, and I agree with Bulat there.

Best regards, Johannes.