Proposal: Add Text.Read.maybeRead :: Read a => String -> Maybe a

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:58:57 EST 2008

Hello,
I don't think that the function should be in an arbitrary monad
because not all monads support failure, and the purpose of using this
function is to take an action when a parse error occurs (if parse
errors were not an issue, then we could just use 'read' instead).  If
we really wanted to generalize the function, then we should use the
'MonadPlus' (or 'Alternative') classes to restrict the result to types
that have meaningful "default" values.   Having said this, I have used
this function on many occasions, and the Maybe type has always been
sufficient, so my preference would be to keep the original type that
was proposed by Don.
-Iavor