Proposal: Add concatMapM function (#2042)

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 06:02:25 EST 2008

Hello Simon,

> Right now though, I'm not sure all this is going in the right direction.
> Dealing with all those mutable buffers is quite a headache (for the library
> writer, not the user), and lazy bytestrings have shown us that there are
> simpler ways to get good I/O performance.  What's more, as Duncan Coutts
> has pointed out to me on more than one occasion, it's much easier to layer
> streams when the streams are lazy lists.  As much as I hate to say it,
> there's a lot to be said for lazy I/O in this respect.  However, lazy I/O
> has other problems - deterministically catching errors, unpredictable
> resource usage, unpredictable interaction with other I/O, and so on.

also add lack of multithreading/locking support and questionable
interaction with C libs. i still think that the proper solution is to
provide imperative i/o library as the basis and build lazy bytestring
one on the top of it. most users will use high-level library

unfortunately, BS and Streams libs were never integrated together

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com