blame: mtl MonadReader instance for ContT

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Dec 23 16:37:07 EST 2008

Nicolas Frisby schrieb:
> This mtl instance is in conflict with a usage of shift/reset that I'm
> porting from ML (Sheard's type-directed partial evaluator).
>
>> instance (MonadReader r' m) => MonadReader r' (ContT r m) where
>>     local f m = ContT $ \c -> do
>>         r <- ask
>>         local f (runContT m (local (const r) . c))
>
> I need to remove the "local (const r)" bit. I think this is just a
> different point in the diverse design space of dynamic
> binding/delimited control. Since Haskell lacks visibility management
> for importing instances, I'm forced to duplicate the rest of the ContT
> code in order to replace this instance with my own.

You may define a newtype, lift all required instances with
-XGeneralizedNewtypeDeriving and define your own MonadReader instance.

> 1) I am hoping this list can recall the reason for putting this design
> decision into the mtl. Perhaps there's a reason to prefer this
> particular side-effect interaction.
>
> 2) I am suggesting that the mtl be restructured such that this
> instance be delegated to a separate module so that
>       i) I can avoid importing it along with the other useful instances
>       ii) and the mtl could provide alternative instances.
>     An alternative to breaking out the modules would be to not provide
> the instance.
>     Another, more radical alternative could involve phantom types.
>
> I don't know of any in the mtl, but this same consideration might be
> applicable to other libraries with "arbitrary" instances.

It was discussed in length, that different instances for the same
class/type pair leads to trouble sooner or later. (keyword "orphan
instances") - Just imagine people who import two instances via two
different import paths, then the compiler does not know, which instances
to use.
 Instead newtype is the answer.