cabal-install sends invalid proxy password

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 18 11:54:10 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 16:05 +0200, Valery V. Vorotyntsev wrote:
> Dear lazy programmers,
>
> I was surprised to discover that `cabal-install' -- a popular utility
> for installing Hackage packages -- cannot work with HTTP proxies.
> Despite all the necessary code linked in.

Thanks for reporting this.

As you guessed, we've never tested it with a proxy that requires
authentication.

> So, the Right Way(TM) to make cabal-install go through proxies is
> fixing `userinfo' function of `network' package (see the
> `network-2.2.0.1.patch').

Good work. We should have this reviewed by the maintainers of the
network package.

> Until then, we should have a workaround in
> `cabal-install' (cabal-install-0.6.0.patch). I do.

Thanks, I'll apply that patch. Looking at the code it looks like it will
not break when the proper fix is applied to the url code in the network
package. Do you agree?

Duncan