Bugfix for QuickCheck 1.1.0.0

Patrick Perry patperry at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 31 14:19:00 EDT 2008

"variant" takes a generator and an integer, and produces a generator.
Here is how it works in the new version:

First, n gets written in binary:

e.g.

n = 10011

Then, we replace "1" with "fst . split". and we replace "0" with
"snd . split".

n' = l . r . r . l . l where l = fst . split
				      r = snd . split

Then, we apply the resulting function to the generator

g' = n' g0

The run time is O (log n).

In the old version, "split" gets called n times, so the run time is
O(n).  For certain double values, variant gets called with n on the
order of 2^30, hence the hang in QuickCheck.  The new version of
variant employs the same algorithm as in QuickCheck2.

Patrick