The base library and GHC 6.10

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sun Aug 31 14:11:11 EDT 2008

"Ian Lynagh" <igloo at earth.li> wrote in message news:20080831121633.GA17919 at matrix.chaos.earth.li...
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 01:10:56PM +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
>> >
>> > OK; so I guess that means the whole Data.Generics.Basics module should
>> > stay in base.
>>
>> Should Data.Generics.Instances (an orphanage) be folded into
>> Data.Generics.Basics?
>
> Sounds good to me.

I just stumbled into this thread by accident. No, the instances
should not be folded into Basics. For one, Basics seems likely
to remain in base, and half of the instances are under dispute
(see previous SYB threads that were copied here). Splitting
the instances into standard and dubious prior to deprecating
the latter was one of the motivations for moving SYB out of
base (apart from Basics and deriving) and for seeking a
maintainer for syb.

Since José Pedro Magalhães has offered to take on ownership
of the syb package, it would be appropriate to cc him on any
discussions related to this, so that he is aware of all developments
and possible conflicts.

Claus