2533: Generic functions that take integral arguments should work the same way as their prelude counterparts

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Sat Aug 30 08:07:33 EDT 2008

On 2008-08-26, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

>| > Because naive definitions are dog-slow and fast definitions are anything
>| > but easy to use?
>
> I doubt that even GHC is going to optimise
>         data Nat = Z | S Nat
> into
>         data Nat = N Int#
> (with appropriate checks) anytime soon.
>
> I think the main reason that the latter (which can easily be
> implemented as a library) is not more widely used is that it's
> tiresomely incompatible with functions that produce Ints.

(Or Integers, or Integral a => a).  Definitely.

> Also perhaps if length :: [a] -> Nat, then computing the difference
> between two lengths (length xs - length ys) could produce a runtime
> error.

It's not so crazy to think that the right thing to do for the
subtraction of naturals overflowing is return 0.  It fits in
with drop and takes behaviour, and arguably zips.  There are natural
near homomorphisms in place between lists and numbers, and taking
negatives as 0 seems to improve the matching a bit.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-