2533: Generic functions that take integral arguments should work the same way as their prelude counterparts

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Aug 23 07:01:49 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 07:47:03PM -0700, Jim Apple wrote:

> The Prelude functions drop, take, and splitAt are unfailing (never
> call error). This patch changes the Data.List generic versions to
> behave the same way. At present, they call error on negative
> arguments.

Looks like a bug/inconsistency in H98 to me:
http://haskell.org/onlinereport/list.html#sect17.7
says
    The prefix "generic" indicates an overloaded function that is a
    generalised version of a Prelude function.
so I'd certainly expect the generic versions to behave the same if used
at type ...Int...

Malcolm, do you agree? Can this go in the H98 errata?

Thanks
Ian