Proposal: Reserved module namespace for packages on Hackage

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 20:07:07 EDT 2008

I tend to think this is a really bad idea. Although things get messy
and there are plenty of corner cases, it seems to me the current
system, haphazard as it is, is closer to the "right way." If, e.g., I
want a Maybe transformer, I want to import it from
Control.Monad.MaybeT, not from Lib.MaybeT. That way I can sort my
imports sanely and see all my Control things in one place, no matter
their provenance, all my data structures in another, be they from
collections or bloom filters from hackage, etc.

The other problem is that either everything eventually goes under
lib, which creates the same problem again, or there is an implicit
set of exceptions for things which, although not part of the official
libraries (which we're trying to reduce, remember) are obviously too
"standard" for lib (e.g., HTTP, and such).

The problem here is that maybe this doesn't scale, since it requires
hackage contributors to think about the package namespace as a whole,
and some vigilance in that regard, the need to mark packages as
depreciated properly, etc.

But on the other hand, arbitrary namespacing leads to fragmentation,
with everyone reimplementing things under their own hierarchy, and
encouraging uses of standard(ish) namespaces also contributes to a
mindset where people will pare down packages into lots of little
reusable conceptual units that only do one thing well.

The problem -- duplication of functionality and fragmentation -- is a
real one, but dealing with it through throwing namespacing to the
wind won't solve the underlying issues, which I think need to be
addressed though the Haskell community guiding the direction of
various efforts, and not through an artificial measure that makes
fragmentation less immediately painful while doing nothing to
mitigate the long term consequences.

--S