Proposal: add laziness to Data.Map / IntMap

Scott Dillard sedillard at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 4 21:17:57 EDT 2008

I think maybe you guys (Don and Andrew) are misunderstanding my proposal.
The lazy/strict tradeoff is a subtle issue, and I'll be sure to re-read
Okasaki's stuff with this in mind, but what I'm talking about here is not a
trade off. It's laziness "for free". Move the strictness annotations out of
the constructors and into the library functions using 'seq'. Laziness is
exposed through _separate_ functions.

I'll copy again my proposed versions of mapWithKey (because I made a typo
the first time)

mapWithKey :: (k -> a -> b) -> Map k a -> Map k b
mapWithKey _ Tip = Tip
mapWithKey f (Bin sx kx x l r)
  = seq l' $ seq r' $ Bin sx kx (f kx x) l' r'
    where l' = mapWithKey f l
          r' = mapWithKey f r

mapWithKeyLazy _ Tip = Tip
mapWithKeyLazy f (Bin sx kx x l r)
  = Bin sx kx (f kx x) (mapWithKey f l) (mapWithKey f r)

So mapWithKey retains all semantics, including guarantees. So would insert,
and all other functions. You export a second API (maybe in a nested module)
that exposes laziness. Writing another library is kind of silly since a) you
want stricness 90% of the time b) it shares 90% of the code. If maintainers
are willing to deal with some extra seqs here and there then we can have
both libraries in one.

Scott