QuickCheck properties for IntSet

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Apr 30 16:48:12 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 01:35:45PM -0700, David Benbennick wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
> >  I believe that a much smaller number of carefully chosen unit tests could test the library just as
> >  well
>
> I think that if you remove any of the properties from my patch, I can
> break the implementation of IntSet in such a way that it still passes
> all the tests.

I don't mean that any of your QC tests were redundant, what I mean is
that QC runs your tests with redundant values.

> Anyway, the new QuickCheck properties are just
> comments, so they don't have any affect on the test suite.

I don't think there is much benefit in having the tests if we aren't
going to run them. People making changes to the library will probably
forget to check that they pass (or not know that they exist), and the
tests will probably bitrot due to changes in other libraries etc.

Thanks
Ian