Issue with package "pretty"

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 27 16:25:51 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 23:49 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> > The solution is not to identify installed packages by their name and
> > version but by a hash that identifies the package ABI.
>
> probably not ABI (it should be the same), but random number generated
> when compilation (build) occurs

The package name and version do not identify an ABI. You change the ABI
by using -O0 vs -O1.

Also, I think modeling build processes as randomness isn't the right
approach. Build are really pure functions but with a rather large number
of inputs. The Nix approach is to identify them all and calculate a hash
of them all and use that to identify each built package.

Duncan