Proposal: overhaul System.Process

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Apr 23 14:55:36 EDT 2008

Simon Marlow wrote:

> Incedentally, for those that know of such things, should readProcess do
> the same signal management that system currently does?  That is, ignore
> SIGINT and SIGQUIT in the parent and restore them to the default in the
> child?

Why does system do that in the first place?  Are we not calling the
underlying platform's system(3)?

Since these functions are supposed to be similar to popen(3), they
shouldn't touch signals.  The POSIX.2 rationale explicitly states that
popen implementations that mess with the parent's signals while waiting
for the child are non-conforming.

	<b