RFC: A standardized interface between web servers and applications or frameworks (ala WSGI)

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org
Mon Apr 14 12:14:02 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Daniel Yokomizo
<daniel.yokomizo at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Both request and response accept any entity headers and 7.1 (of RFC
>  2616) says that a valid entity header is an extension header, which
>  can be any kind of header.

Is wasn't suggesting that other headers be dropped, just that they
remain as strings.

>  IMHO it would be better to create a two layered approach. The bottom
>  layer handles the request as a bunch of strings, just checks for
>  structural correctness (i.e. break the headers by line and such)
>  without checking if the headers are correct. The top layer provides a
>  bunch of parser combinators to validate, parse and sanitize the
>  request so a library can create its own contract:

Ok, I think I'm convinced by this argument. I'd hope that a standard
set of header parsers be defined, and that an application which only
cares about 2616 headers can do call a single function to parse them
all, but I no longer advocate that the base interface use parsed forms
of headers.

Also, parsing URLs seems to be pretty uncontroversial (maybe parsing
key, value pairs from the path, maybe not)

AGL

--
Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org http://www.imperialviolet.org