building a helper binary with cabal

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Thu Apr 3 00:07:32 EDT 2008

I got caught up in other things, so I'm also late to reply.

Here's the whole story now, so you don't have to reskim the archive.
My program has a helper executable that's built with gcc.  I want to
install it alongside my Haskell binary.  I can write a post-copy hook
like this:

> creplChildCopy :: Args -> CopyFlags -> PackageDescription
>                -> LocalBuildInfo -> IO ()
> creplChildCopy args flags desc buildinfo = do
>   print "copy hook"
>   let dirs = absoluteInstallDirs desc buildinfo (copyDest flags)
>   print ("copying child to ", libexecdir dirs </> creplChildName)
>   copyFileVerbose (copyVerbose flags) (creplChildPath buildinfo)
>                   (libexecdir dirs </> creplChildName)

And then run it like this:

$ ./Setup.lhs copy -v3
directory dist/doc/html/c-repl does exist: False
Creating /home/martine/.local/share/doc/c-repl-0.1 (and its parents)
copy LICENSE to /home/martine/.local/share/doc/c-repl-0.1/LICENSE
Installing: /home/martine/.local/bin
Creating /home/martine/.local/bin (and its parents)
copy dist/build/c-repl/c-repl to /home/martine/.local/bin/c-repl
"copy hook"
("copying child to ","/home/martine/.local/libexec/c-repl-child")
copy dist/build/c-repl-child to /home/martine/.local/libexec/c-repl-child
Setup.lhs: /home/martine/.local/libexec: copyFile: does not exist (No
such file or directory)

That fails because this "libexec" dir doesn't exist.

My questions are:
1) Is it my responsibility to create the libexec dir if it doesn't exist?
2) How can I get the "copy" phase to run as part of "install"?
3) Do you have advice on installed vs. uninstalled paths?  Currently
to facilitate development when getting the path to that executable I
do something like this (where "Paths" is the module generated by
cabal):

findChildBinary :: IO (Either String FilePath)
findChildBinary = do
  let path = "dist/build/c-repl-child"
  ok1 <- isReadable path
  if ok1
    then return (Right path)
    else do
      libexecdir <- Paths_c_repl.getLibexecDir
      let path = libexecdir ++ "/c-repl-child"
      ok2 <- isReadable path
      if ok2
        then return (Right path)
        else return (throwError "can't find child executable")
  where
  isReadable path =
    do
      perms <- getPermissions path