hsql-1.7 with ghc-6.8

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 25 12:54:33 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 19:23 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Duncan,
>
> Tuesday, September 25, 2007, 4:46:09 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Don was suggesting we start a wiki page with advice to package maintainers on
> > what updates are common for the transition to ghc-6.8 and cabal-1.2. This is a
>
> i think that generally requirement to update libraries to meet 6.8
> reqirements isn't a good idea. can we provide full support of old
> packages in 6.8, for example by inclusion both new and old Cabal
> versions in default installation?

FWIW, Cabal is independent of GHC, they are just distributed together.
As such, updating packages adds a dependency on Cabal 1.2, not on GHC.
Cabal intentionally uses only Haskell98 features in order to be as
portable as possible.  Having build environments require the latest
version of the build tool is rather common, too.  This is not
necessarily good in any case[*], but we try to make it as little hassle
as possible.

/ Thomas

[*] .. I'd personally like to avoid these problems as well, but many
seem to consider them as transitional, and I agree that, ATM, hackage is
small enough to fix problems in a decent amount of time.