Proposal: Add &&& and *** to Data.Tuple

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Sep 21 13:45:04 EDT 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Josef Svenningsson wrote:

> Henrik and Ian,
>
> You've expressed worries that having functions with the same name but
> different types could be problematic since it would cause confusing
> error messages. While I can sympathize with that argument I don't
> think it is an argument against having such functions. It is an
> indication that the tools we're using don't report errors very well.

People often forget that there are more Haskell tools than the one
compiler they use. There are also tools like Haddock, extended static
checkers and tools that still do not exist, like an IDE for refactoring,
which will be complicated by such extensions. Thus language extensions
should be considered carefully before adoption. In this case, I have the
feeling that people have just aversions against using the possibilities of
the module system that already exist.