darcs patch: Add dropped STM invariants functions

shelarcy shelarcy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:52:19 EDT 2007

Hi Ian,

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:18:32 +0900, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:

>> [Add dropped STM invariants functions
>> shelarcy <shelarcy at gmail.com>**20070920125633] {
>> hunk ./Control/Monad/STM.hs 27
>> +        always,
>> +        alwaysSucceeds,
>> }
>
> I'm a little lost - what were these functions dropped from?

I think they dropped from GHC 6.8 branch and GHC 6.8.1 release.

> They aren't exported by Control.Monad.STM in GHC 6.6.1 either.

They are GHC 6.8.x's new feature.
So current GHC 6.6.1 and stm packages can't export them.

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2006-October/018618.html

I thought someone add them in GHC 6.7 developping phase.
But anyone doesn't do it, and now we are in the GHC 6.8.1
Release Candidate phase. So, I send patch to add thses functions.

I think this is important change for STM user.
Because if these functions are dropped from GHC 6.8.1' release,
they must also use GHC.Conc module instead of just using
Control.Concurrent.STM (or Control.Monad.STM).

And this causes same tragedy on GHC 6.6.x's Parallel Haskell again.
Parallel Haskell dropped exporting pseq function when GHC 6.6 release time,
so we must use bad interface until GHC 6.8.1 release.

http://www.mail-archive.com/glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org/msg10973.html

> I'm not overly familiar with the STM package, but this seems to be an
> interface change, so I think it ought to go through
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions

Should I formalise this contribution?

I thought STM package developper knows GHC 6.8.x's change, and just forgot
adding functions to STM package. So I send just darcs patch.

Best Regards.

--
shelarcy <shelarcy    hotmail.co.jp>
http://page.freett.com/shelarcy/