patch applied (packages/regex-base): Make setup script compileagain after recent Cabal changes

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Sep 2 16:59:24 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 05:24:51PM +0200, Sven Panne wrote:

> (Does anybody remember changes in "make"'s basic syntax? I
> don't...)

No, as far as I am aware make still has all the irritations and
limitations that it's had for decades.

> even when you have a "fat" line to the Internet. The tarball snapshots of the
> repositories are not really an option in the long run IMHO and defeat the
> purpose of a versioning tool.

I don't really see why it defeats the purpose. There are a lot of
problems more serious than needing to download a tarball in order to get
an up-to-date repo quickly.

> To be usable, a speedup of at least factor 10
> would be required. Is there any hope for this?

Patch application can be sped up with a planned change of hunk format.
If downloading lots of small patch files individually is the problem
then darcs could tar them up when checkpointed tags are made.

So yes, I think there is hope; it just needs some development time put
in.

Thanks
Ian