proposal: in base, for Data.Version, change the meaning of comparisons

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 27 07:30:14 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 01:59 +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> I believe rpm does too, although I can't find an easy way to ask it or a
> reliable description of what the algorithm does. I also can't
> immediately find any details on what Gentoo, *BSD, etc think.

Most details on gentoo package versions are explained here:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap3

It doesn't say if trailing .0 version components are significant but
from a quick experiment with dummy packages foo-0.1 and foo-0.1.0 Gentoo
does consider 0.1.0 > 0.1. That is, it considers version 0.1.0 to be an
upgrade on 0.1 where as 0.1 is a re-install.

Duncan