System.Win32.Types to base library?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 06:58:22 EDT 2007

Felix Martini wrote:
> I am working on some Windows specific code for GHC in the base
> library. System.Win32.Types contains basic Win32 types and error
> handling functions. Using them would mean a dependency on the Win32
> library. I could duplicate parts of System.Win32.Types that i need,
> but is it not preferable to relocate System.Win32.Types to the base
> library?

You don't say what you're working on specifically, but in general the
direction we want to move in is to develop new stuff outside of the base
package, where you have full access to the Win32 or unix APIs.  In the
upcoming GHC release we've separated out various parts of base for this reason.

Cheers,
	Simon