Supporting various versions of Cabal

Alistair Bayley alistair at abayley.org
Thu Nov 29 04:27:12 EST 2007

Hello,

Is there a story for supporting various versions of Cabal in a
package? For Takusen we now have three different Setup.lhs files, for
Cabal versions 1.1.4, 1.1.6.2, and 1.2. I'm not sure I want to discard
the Setup scripts for the older versions, as this allows users with
older installations to use Takusen without being forced to upgrade
their Cabal package. However, I'm also conscious that latest Cabal
works with versions of ghc back to 6.4 (if not earlier), so is this a
non-issue? Is it reasonable to require users to upgrade Cabal to a
newer version than the one that ships with their compiler, just to get
your package to build?

Thanks,
Alistair