[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Mon Nov 19 19:40:50 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: libraries-bounces at haskell.org [mailto:libraries-bounces at haskell.org]
On Behalf Of Ross Paterson
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 7:27 PM
To: Haskell Libraries
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:31:51PM +0100, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007, at 23:13 , Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> I like to see MTL split into a Haskell98 part and an advanced part. I
>> mostly use functionality which would nicely fit into a Haskell98
interface
>> and find it annoying that by importing MTL my code becomes less portable.
>
> Yes! Please!

You mean something like http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/mtl-split ?
The plan is to split Control.Monad.Identity, Control.Monad.Trans and
Control.Monad.Trans.* off into a separate portable, low-level package.

This demonstrates what I believe to be the only universally true statement
about software engineering:  If you have a great idea, someone else has
already thought of it and has probably done something with it.  :)

Seth Kurtzberg
Software Engineer
Specializing in Security, Reliability, and the Hardware/Software Interface