[Haskell-cafe] Stream fusion for Hackage

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 19:06:31 EST 2007

Don Stewart wrote:

> ross:
>
>>[redirected from haskell-cafe]
>>
>>On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 06:31:08PM -0800, Don Stewart wrote:
>>
>>>Just a quick announce: the stream fusion library for lists,
>>>that Duncan Coutts, Roman Leshchinskiy and I worked on earlier this year
>>>is now available on Hackage as a standalone package:
>>>
>>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/stream-fusion-0.1.1
>>
>>The module Data.Stream clashes with a module in the Stream package
>>(originally from the arrows package), and I think the latter is a more
>>widely used notion of stream.  Would you consider renaming Data.Stream
>>and Control.Monad.Stream?
>

> Right, so how best to resolve this? Any name suggestions?

I would suggest dropping the name 'stream' completely, or at least
adding an adjective. There are several things named streams, and these
fusion streams are not the most natural of them. Calling them 'streams'
will only confuse people.

Some suggestions:
  - Data.List.Fusable
  - Data.StreamFusion
  - Data.FusionStream
  - Data.UnfoldedStream

Also, this module feels like an 'internal' module to me. Perhaps
poluting the Data. or Control. hierarchy with it is not a good idea. It
really belongs in some sort of 'Optimization.' or 'Internal.' hierarchy.

Twan