Adding System.FilePath

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Fri Mar 16 10:08:00 EDT 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 14:56, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Friday, March 16, 2007, 4:42:00 PM, you wrote:
> > Well, I know that there is a "wide" API now, I just wanted to point out
> > what is commonly done when an 8bit <-> character conversion is needed.
> > The problem is that Haskell's I/O libs current use e.g. _sopen instead of
> > _wsopen, so I should probably rephrase my proposal then as follows:
> >
> >    * Improve CStrings and friends to do some actual de-/encoding with the
> > common default for the platform
> >
> >    * Use a "wide" API when available internally
>
> my proposal is to implement second as part of new low i/o library
> because it's not only issue that we should fix. so, instead of
> patching here and there, new modular design should be started

I would strongly object against waiting so long, because agreeing on a new I/O
API will probably take months, and I'm seriously not expecting any kind of
consensus even within this year for something as fundamental.

The nice parts about my proposal, as imperfect as it is from a purely
theoretical viewpoint, are:

   * :We can do this *now*.

   * We can do this incrementally behind the scenes, no big bang is needed.

   * The Haskell APIs stay as they are at the moment, only the semantics are
improved.

Cheers,
   S.