Adding System.FilePath

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Mar 16 10:03:34 EDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:07:24PM +1100, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> suspect that we'd never have found these without the huge number of
> people using the lib that came from it being included as standard.

Please, please, please, packages can come "as standard" (i.e. be a core
package) without having all their modules be part of the base package.

> As I've mentioned before, a reason to keep it in base in future is that
> it gives us the opportunity to rewrite programs that don't even import
> ByteString into more efficient versions, for example:
>
> f . lines =<< readFile "foo"

> f . map unpack . B.lines =<< B.readFile "foo"

(is B ByteString.Lazy here?)

If we want to do that then we'd either need to put ByteString into base
or split io out into its own package, yes (and incidentally, the latter
I think would be fantastic; looking only at the cabal dependencies
and (transitively, admittedly) extensions you would be able to see if a
library was able to do IO).

Thanks
Ian