Adding System.FilePath

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Fri Mar 16 09:42:00 EDT 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 14:26, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Friday, March 16, 2007, 4:24:47 PM, you wrote:
> >    * On Windows, the current ANSI code page is assumed, which could vary
> > from installation to installation and can be changed by the user AFAIK.
>
> it was true for Win9x. NT-based systems supports new api which uses
> utf16 (of course they support old api too). generally, developers say
> that their programs supports unicode filenames if their programs
> supports this new api. its support implemented in Win32Files module
> from http://www.haskell.org/bz/FreeArc-sources.tar.gz

Well, I know that there is a "wide" API now, I just wanted to point out what
is commonly done when an 8bit <-> character conversion is needed. The problem
is that Haskell's I/O libs current use e.g. _sopen instead of _wsopen, so I
should probably rephrase my proposal then as follows:

   * Improve CStrings and friends to do some actual de-/encoding with the
common default for the platform

   * Use a "wide" API when available internally

Cheers,
   S.