Adding System.FilePath

ArtemGr artem at bizlink.ru
Fri Mar 16 05:13:48 EDT 2007

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin <at> gmail.com> writes:
> yes, *you* are happy with it and therefore propose to add it to the
> base. *i* want to see it evolved sometime to support various
> bytestring kinds and therefore propose to keep it in separate library.
> otherwise, we will got either incompatibility between ghc versions or
> legacy system.filepath in base and new version in some 3rd-party
> library

Unlike a lot of other languages (like Java) which grow incrementally, heaving
the whole lot of old baggage in their library API, GHC base is allowed to evolve
its interfaces (and yes, that breaks compatibility). I think it is a healthy
approach, while the Java approach might bloat it to death (sadly, as i'm a Java
user; at least the bytecode seem remains in good shape).