Adding System.FilePath

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Mar 15 22:55:26 EDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:44:26AM +1100, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> Of course if a module is still maturing and in a state of flux then
> adding it to base wouldn't be a good idea as one could not promise API
> stability. System.FilePath doesn't seem to be in that situation however,
> in my opinion it's ok to go into base (and come out again if/when base
> gets split up).

I think that's roughly the argument you made for FPS, but looking at the
repo history there are at least these API changes since the GHC 6.6
release:

* export the right 'cycle'
* Add a unit tests file, a test that append is lazy in the tail, and make it so.
* "HEADS UP: Change CString api"
* Make the lazy cons lazy, and add a cons' for when you want it to be strict
* Make fromForeignPtr take the start so it is truly the inverse of toForeignPtr
* Define headTail :: ByteString -> Maybe (Word8, ByteString)

Sure, all of these can be worked around by importing internal modules
and copying the corrected definitions (as I have had to do), but it
would be much simpler if I could just depend on bytestring >= 1.1.

Thanks
Ian