Adding System.FilePath

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:54:03 EDT 2007

Hi Bulat,

> > Do you have a concrete proposal for what FilePath's should look like
> > in Haskell'? "FilePath = String" is currently the least broken design,
> > since no one has put forward a better one.
>
> does http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/IO not count?

It is a start, but not the whole answer. What is the type of readFile?
Stringable a => a -> IO String ? What about getContents? Can all this
be implemented without breaking existing code? Does this stop people
from chopping and changing at strings? Is that desirable?

There are also lots of other questions, does this code want to go into
base? Do we want to replace the existing code in base? Is breaking
nhc/yhc for something as fundamental as open files acceptable?

Plenty of open questions, I suspect solving them all will take months
at the very least...

Thanks

Neil