Namespace question

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Mar 15 05:46:08 EDT 2007

Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:

> My question is related to namespace to use for such modules ?
> MDV.modules ?  FOO.MDV.modules where FOO is an already existing
> namespace ?

If your modules are truly Mandriva-specific, then placing them in their
own named hierarchy is ideal.  But if there is even the slightest chance
that they will be more widely useful, then it would be more appropriate
to locate them in the hierarchy by their functionality, rather than
their provenance.

Please do not use cryptic abbreviations like MDV.  You could use a
reverse-domain-name scheme like in Java, e.g.
    Org.Mandriva.modules
    Com.Mandriva.modules
or just plain
    Mandriva.modules

If naming by functionality, then (depending on what your modules
actually do), something like
    System.OS.Mandriva.modules

> Also this question apply for more generic modules, eg which namespace
> should  use an haskell RPM module ?

Perhaps
    System.OS.RPMtools

> Is it possible to create a new main namespace ?

Yes, if you propose it on the libraries list and gain consensus.

> I think a FAQ is needed about this.

http://www.haskell.org/hierarchical-modules/libraries/layout.html

Regards,
    Malcolm