Proposal: Add First and Last wrappers around Maybe to Data.Monoid

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 01:22:22 EDT 2007

A MonadPlus instance and a Monoid instance will be used in different
circumstances, so I don't see a compelling argument that they should
always be the same if both exist for a particular type. Maybe you have
one? Note that [] and the nearly identical Seq are the only types so
far to have both instances, so there's no particular reason to think
we can generalize from them.

MonadPlus Maybe and Monoid First are the same though.

If people want, and can provide a name for the type, I'm willing to
wrap the "inject identity" instance in the same way First and Last are
wrapped. But if nobody besides you speaks up in the next day or two,
I'll assume it's not a widespread complaint and go with what I have.

Thanks for the comment though,
Jeffrey