Issues with System.Posix.Files

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Sun Mar 4 18:07:33 EST 2007

On Mar 4, 2007, at 23:46 , David Brown wrote:

> Hi, I'm writing some code to use System.Posix.Files to restore a
> filesystem.  I've discovered a few missing things.
>
>   - There is a createDevice, but the mode values needed to pass to
>     this call aren't exported (blockSpecialMode,
>     characterSpecialMode).

Wouldn't you also need to be able to specify the major and minor
numbers for the device? I have a first try at that in the
System.PosixCompat.Extensions module in the unix-compat package
(darcs repo: http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/unix-compat/).
The unix-compat package aims to provide the unix package API on all
platforms, with suitable dummy implementations when there is no
corresponding functionality.

>   - In fact, it would be nice to be able to have fileTypeModes
>     exported as well as each of the types.  One would assume that
>     someone using System.Posix wishes to access things at this kind of
>     level.

/Björn