unix package

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Jun 30 12:58:03 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:25:44AM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> Splitting up the unix package seems more like an inconsequential
> janitorial task.

A lot of what I do (bug triaging, approving mailing list posts, ...) is
janitorial, because it is those tasks that people don't tend to want to
do in their evenings, can't do for SoC projects, and so on.

And for what it's worth, in my opinion the task is important; there is
quite a long road to having multiple (modern) Haskell implementations,
with the same libraries, providing the same interfaces and coming with
regression and performance testsuites, but we are making progress, and
this represents one more step along the road.

Writing a windows-posix package would also be useful, but would probably
be better done by someone with a task they want it for, who is motivated
to just sit down for a weekend or two and get it written.

If I were to do it then it would keep getting put aside, as things like
the ongoing janitorial tasks above need tending to, and bugs holding up
the 6.8 release need fixing, and so on, so it would take much longer to
materialise.

Also, this is only one of dozens of libraries that it would be great to
have. We need a similar number of people, each with their own itch that
needs scratching!

Thanks
Ian