unix package

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at invescoperpetual.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 11:45:39 EDT 2007

> From: libraries-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:libraries-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Ian Lynagh
>
> Currently the unix package is a mishmash of different solutions to the
> portability problem. Here are all the ones I've found, along
> with what I
> think the best action would be. If this sounds reasonable then I'll
> start making patches and proposals as appropriate.

This is outside the scope of Ian's proposal, but I was wondering...

The unix package isn't available to Windows users. Unsurprising, maybe.
But, given that it seems to be a layer over the Posix API, would it be
reasonable to request that the unix package is made available on
Windows? There is a Posix API in Windows (NT/2000/XP), although I
understand it is next to useless. There is also this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pw32/

and possibly some other projects which provide the necessary
functionality on Windows (cygwin? MSYS?).

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is