darcs patch: Remove unsafeCoerce-importing kludgery in favor of Uns...

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 06:15:07 EDT 2007

Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
>> ashley:
>>> Data.Array.Base isn't exposed, is it?
>>
>> Sure is -- it's where we get unchecked array reads and write from.
>
> I'm not seeing it here:
> <http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/>
> <http://haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/libraries/>

It's exposed but not documented.  When we wrote it, the .Base module was a
convenient way to structure the implementation, we didn't intend it to be
imported outside of the base package.  By the time we started using Cabal and
had the choice whether to expose modules or not, code was already using
Data.Array.Base (possibly my own code, I don't remember :-), so we left it exposed.

We should really hide Data.Array.Base, and move out of it the things that we
really want to expose.  Perhaps Data.Array.Unsafe?

Cheers,
	Simon