Proposal: Move the throwErrnoPath* functions from unix:System.Posix.Error to base:Foreign.C.Error

Ian Lynagh igloo at
Sun Jul 29 08:09:12 EDT 2007

Currently, unix:System.Posix.Error has a number of throwErrnoPath*
functions which are entirely portable, but they are not available on
Windows due to being in the unix package.

In the thread beginning
Simon Marlow writes:

    When I needed to add some error-related functionality for the POSIX
    library, I didn't want to add extra stuff to Foreign.C.Error beyond
    what was specified in the FFI spec, so I added System.Posix.Error
    instead. This was just conservative; we could probably add
    throwErrnoPath and friends to Foreign.C.Error (with the usual
    proposal process).

I propose that these functions are moved to base:Foreign.C.Error. They
would still be re-exported by unix:System.Posix.Error to minimise

Suggested deadline: Sun 12 August 2007.